• home
  • about me
  • categories
  • subscribe
  • contact
  • Tuesday, January 29, 2013

    Tasty Tuesday-Roasted Cauliflower Soup

    I have decided to add some fun things to my blog, and Tasty Tuesday is one of them. Every Tuesday I will post a recipe that is tried and true, whether it's one that's been passed down in my family or one I whipped up in my own kitchen. After trying, failing miserably, and occasionally succeeding at cooking for 7 years I finally feel like I can make, not only edible, but plate licking dishes. So check back every Tuesday for a new dish to try that is sure to tickle your taste buds.

    Today's dish is my very own concoction. It has minimal ingredients and is the epitome of comfort food.


    ROASTED CAULIFLOWER SOUP
    Serves 4, double for a crowd

    1 head cauliflower, chopped into bite size pieces
    EVOO (extra virgin olive oil)
    S+P (salt and pepper)
    1/2 cube butter
    1/2 onion, chopped
    1 C milk
    3/4 C flour
    1 can chicken broth (about 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 C)

    Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Coat chopped cauliflower in EVOO and spread out evenly on a large cookie sheet. Add S+P. Bake in oven for 40-45 min. Occasionally shift cauliflower around while baking to prevent sticking and burning. In a large saucepan, sauté onions in melted butter over low-medium heat until tender. Add milk, flour, and chicken broth. Whisk constantly over medium heat until thickened. This may take a few minutes so be patient. Remove cauliflower from oven and add to saucepan with other ingredients. Break cauliflower into smaller pieces with whisk. Add more S+P to taste. Let stand in bowls at least 2-3 minutes before serving as the soup will be very hot.

    Notes:

    Adding cheese to this recipe is perfectly acceptable. I would use an aged cheddar.

    To make this recipe toddler friendly, puree hot soup in a blender for 10 seconds. Kids love the velvety texture.

    This recipe can work exactly the same with broccoli if you're not a cauliflower lover.





    1 comment:

    Mike and Jackie said...

    Making this for dinner tonight. Thanks Love!